FINAL REPORT: FBI finds ‘no specific motive’ in mass Vegas shooting

LAS VEGAS — FBI officials were unable to determine a “single or clear motivating factor” behind alleged mass shooter Stephen Paddock’s decision to open fire on a Las Vegas crowd in 2017, law enforcement officials reported Tuesday.

Investigators failed to identify “one particular motive” behind the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history, the agency announced.

“It wasn’t about MGM, Mandalay Bay or a specific casino or venue,” Aaron Rouse, the agent in charge of the FBI’s Las Vegas office, told The Associated Press. “It was all about doing the maximum amount of damage and him obtaining some form of infamy.”

In a three-page summary of its key findings, the FBI described Paddock, who they say opened fire from a 32nd-floor window of the Mandalay Bay Hotel into a crowd of outdoor concert-goers on the ground below, as a loner with no religious or political affiliations. They claim the retired postal service worker had begun stockpiling weapons for more than a year prior to the attack.

64-year-old Paddock, who left behind no manifesto or suicide note at the scene, turned his weapon upon himself as police officials closed in, say investigators. He was found dead at the scene.

“This report comes as close to understanding the why as we’re ever going to get,” Rouse said. “He acted alone. He committed a heinous act. He died by his own hand.”

“If he wanted to leave a message, he would have left a message,” Rouse continued. “Bottom line is he didn’t want people to know.”

58 victims were killed during the October 1, 2017, attack. 900 others were wounded.

Las Vegas police officially closed their investigation into the mass shooting last August after what Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo described as hundreds of interviews and thousands of hours of investigative work.

Lombardo vowed never to speak Paddock’s name in public again.

vegasshooting

ASSOCIATED PRESS: Police release 2,100 documents relating to Vegas mass shooting

Las Vegas, Nev. (AP) — Police in Las Vegas released documents Wednesday that they said contain dispatch logs and additional officer reports about the investigation into the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.

The release of some 2,100 pages of documents followed a court order after The Associated Press and other media organizations sued for information on the Oct. 1 shooting that killed 58 people and injured hundreds more.

More than seven months after the attack, the key unanswered question remains a motive for the rampage. Police and the FBI have said they don’t know what led Stephen Paddock to open fire from his high-rise hotel room onto an outdoor concert below.

They have said they believe Paddock, 64, a retired accountant, real estate investor and high-stakes gambler, acted alone and that the attack had no link to international terrorism.

Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo has said police compiled thousands of documents and amassed hundreds of hours of video, including witness cellphone recordings and footage from officers’ body-worn cameras.

The department has been releasing the information in waves, with names and identifying characteristics of witnesses blacked out. It has not provided all the materials it collected.

Some 1,200 pages of similar police reports and witness statements released last week unveiled accounts from two people who said a person they believed to be the gunman ranted in the days prior the attack about the U.S. government and gun control.

Footage from two officers’ body cameras released May 2 showed police blasting through the door of the Mandalay Bay hotel suite where Paddock is seen dead amid a cache of assault-style weapons.

Authorities say Paddock broke windows on the 32nd floor of the hotel and fired for about 10 minutes into a concert crowd of 22,000 people at an open-air venue on the Las Vegas Strip.

Media outlets sued to obtain videos, 911 recordings, evidence logs and interview reports to shed light on the response by public agencies, emergency workers and hotel officials during and after the shooting.

lasvegasmassacre.jpg

THE PLOT THICKENS: Coroner defies court order to release autopsy results of alleged Vegas shooter, Stephen Paddock

LAS VEGAS, NV — Clark County Nevada Coroner John Fudenberg on Wednesday defied a court order to release the autopsy report of Stephen Paddock, the man police say was responsible for the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history.

Paddock, 64, who investigators say killed 58 people and wounded close to 700 others during an outdoor concert in Las Vegas last October, was found dead in a Vegas hotel room, the victim of what police claim was a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

District Court Judge Timothy Williams ordered the coroner Tuesday to immediately release the results of Paddock’s autopsy, but Clark County Coroner John Fudenberg has thus far refused to do so, stating that he would continue to do so until the report was “finalized”.

Williams’ refusal to release the report was quickly met with outrage from media outlets who say investigators are “playing games”.

“I don’t believe this is consistent with what the court ordered,” Las Vegas attorney Maggie McLetchie, who represents the Las Vegas Review-Journal and The Associated Press in their November action demanding the release of the reports told the Las Vegas Review (https://www.reviewjournal.com/investigations/judge-orders-release-of-las-vegas-shooting-autopsy-reports/). “They (the coroner’s office) have delayed this for too long, and whatever stage the coroner’s report on Paddock is in, it should be provided to the Review-Journal and Associated Press without further delay. No more games. Release the records.”

“The shooter’s body was cremated Dec. 21,” said Review-Journal Editor-in-Chief Keith Moyer. “How can the autopsy report not be ‘finalized’ when the body was cremated more than five weeks ago? The law is squarely on the side of the public’s right to open government.”

This isn’t the first time that officials charged with investigating the attack have fought to keep the results of their inquiries from the public.

In January a judge ordered the coroner to pay about $32,000 in legal costs to the Review-Journal for refusing to release public records to the newspaper, claims McLetchie.

“The court correctly recognized the presumption of public access to records, even when a mass tragedy occurs,” McLetchie said. “(The judge) also rejected arguments by the coroner’s office that there were any privacy interests with regards to the autopsy of Stephen Paddock, let alone any that outweighed the strong presumption of access to records in Nevada.”

The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department released a provisional report Jan. 8 on the shooting but gave very little information in regard to Paddock’s activities leading up to the shooting or the result of his autopsy.

“Preliminarily, the injuries noted were on the posterior of both calves and a gunshot wound to the upper palette inside the decedent’s mouth with obvious damage to the upper teeth,” the department stated.

“The cause of Paddock’s death was an internal gunshot wound and the manner of death was ruled a suicide,” the report concluded.

Family members of several of the shooting victims have also expressed outrage over how the investigation is being handled.

“We can’t even get a response from the coroner’s office,” Adam Castilla, brother of Andrea Castilla, a 28-year-old California woman killed during the shooting, told the Review-Journal. Castilla added that, despite multiple requests, his family still has not received a copy of his sister’s autopsy.

“It’s been over 100 days and I’ve called at least 20 times,” said Castilla. “I haven’t gotten one call back. I feel like they’re definitely trying to protect someone or themselves.”

stephen-paddock-mandalay-bay

 

Vegas shooter’s brother busted on child porn charges; FBI refuses comment

HOLLYWOOD, CA — Bruce Paddock, brother of alleged Las Vegas shooter Stephen Paddock, was taken into custody Wednesday and charged with crimes relating to child pornography.

Paddock, 58, was found arrested at an assisted-living facility, where he was awaiting surgery for spinal stenosis.

A spokesperson for the Los Angeles police department confirmed that a man fitting Paddock’s description was taken into custody in the 5300 block of Laurel Canyon Boulevard on suspicion of crimes related to child pornography.

A felony complaint filed against Paddock on Tuesday in Los Angeles County Superior Court said he had over 600 sexually explicit images of children on his personal computer and that he had also traded sexual images of children with others online.

Paddock faces 19 counts of sexual exploitation of a child and one count of possession of child pornography, according to the complaint.

Police sources say law enforcement officials were tipped off to Paddock’s online activities prior to the mass killing in Las Vegas.

After the shooting on Oct. 1 which left 58 dead and hundreds more wounded, Bruce Paddock told NBC News that he had not spoken to his brother Stephen for over 10 years and said he had no idea what would have driven him to open fire on music festival attendees from his room at the Mandalay Bay.

“I don’t know how he could stoop to this low point, hurting someone else. It wasn’t suicide by cop since he killed himself,” he said at the time (https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/las-vegas-shooting/stephen-paddock-las-vegas-shooting-suspect-identified-n806471). “He killed a bunch of people and then killed himself so he didn’t have to face whatever it was.”

Paddock also told NBC that he had been “grilled” by the FBI in regard to what he may have or may not have known on more than one occasion.

“They were just asking about our childhood, what schools we went to, who his friends were, all the stuff we did,” he said.

On Wednesday, Sandra Breault, a spokeswoman for the FBI bureau in Las Vegas, refused to say whether Bruce Paddock’s arrest was tied to the agency’s investigation into the concert shooting.

“We have no comment at this time,” said Breault.

paddockarrested

VEGAS MYSTERY DEEPENS: LVPD halts news conferences as security guard who disputed official story goes missing

LAS VEGAS, NV — The Las Vegas Police Department announced Tuesday it would no longer participate in future press conferences despite calls for updates on the investigation into the worst mass shooting in U.S. history.

The stunning announcement comes as questions regarding the whereabouts of Jesus Campos, a Mandalay Bay security guard who blew the lid off the government’s official story, reach a fever pitch.

Campos, who was scheduled for a series of television interviews last week, has seemingly disappeared off the face of the earth since going public with information that disputed the FBI’s official timeline of events.

David Hickey, president of the Security, Police, and Fire Professionals of America, the union which represents Campos, told the Los Angles Times on Monday it had been four days since he last saw Campos (http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-jesus-campos-vegas-20171016-story.html.

“We have had no contact with him… Clearly, somebody knows where he is,” Hickey said.

Hickey said the last contact he had with Compos was via text message in which he was told Campos was being taken to a walk-in health clinic in Vegas.

“For the past four days he’d been preparing,” Hickey told FOX5 Las Vegas. “We had a meeting with MGM officials, and after that meeting was over, we talked about the interviews, we went to a private area, and when we came out, Mr. Campos was gone.”

But according to the clinic in question, Campos never showed up.

When pressed for statement, LVPD Spokesman Larry Hadfield said the police department had “no comment” on Campos’ disappearance.

“He is a victim in this and we don’t discuss victims,” Hadfield said.

Campos’ disappearance only adds to the mystery surrounding the October 1 event during which police say 58 year old Stephen Paddock opened fire on concert goers from the upper floor of the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Resort in downtown Las Vegas, killing 58 people and wounding 546 others.

Campos was also allegedly shot by Paddock, but an emergency call radioed in for help after Campos was wounded contradicted the official timeline put forth by both the LVPD and the FBI.

“Right now I’m just concerned where my member is, and what his condition is. It’s highly unusual,” Hickey told Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/17/las-vegas-guard-jesus-campos-not-missing-person-police-say-hes-victim.html). “I’m hoping everything is OK with him.”

missing

OFFICIAL STORY FALLS APART: Hotel worker claims he dodged bullets before Las Vegas shooter opened fire

LAS VEGAS, NV — In yet another blow to the government’s official story, a hotel worker for Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino says he called for help before shooting suspect Stephen Paddock opened fire.

Stephen Schuck, a hotel engineer at the now infamous resort, said he radioed for assistance after Paddock shot at him and a fellow security guard.

“I could feel them (bullets) pass right behind my head,” engineer Stephen Schuck told NBC News’ “Today” on Wednesday (https://www.today.com/news/las-vegas-hotel-workers-took-cover-hallway-after-gunman-opened-t117342). “Something hit me in the back.”

Schuck claims he was on an upper-level floor of the Las Vegas hotel on Oct. 1 when he received a request to look at a fire exit door that wouldn’t open on the 32nd floor.

The exit door in question was located on the same floor where Paddock allegedly opened fire on concertgoers 1,200 feet below, killing 58 people and wounding hundreds more.

Schuck claims he entered the hallway when the first round of bullets went off at about 9:59 p.m.

“As soon as they stopped, I saw Jesus pop out….he yelled at me to take cover,” Schuck said. “As soon as I started to go to a door to my left, the rounds started coming down the hallway.”

“It was kind of relentless so I called over the radio what was going on,” he said. “As soon as the shooting stopped we made our way down the hallway and took cover again and then the shooting started again.”

Schuck’s claims are in direct contrast to the official story given by investigators that he and security guard Jesus Campos were wounded by Paddock after the suspect opened fire on crowds from his hotel room but before turning the gun on himself.

According to police and FBI reports on the shooting, investigators claim Paddock fired through the door of his room and injured the unarmed guard after shooting into the crowd.

Joseph Giacalone, a professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice and a retired New York City police sergeant, told ABC-7 Las Vegas (http://abc7.com/las-vegas-shooting-chilling-audio-recordings-released/2519385/) that the new timeline “changes everything.”

“There absolutely was an opportunity in that timeframe that some of this could’ve been mitigated,” he said.

The Schuck’s claim is accurate, it means that based on the Las Vegas police’s own timeline it took 19 minutes for the LVPD to know what the guard and the maintenance worker already knew — where exactly Paddock was shooting from. Families of the victims say that leads them to wonder how many of their loved ones could have been saved.

Nicole Rapp, whose mother was trampled during the chaos of the shooting said she’s “having a hard time wrapping my head around” the new revelations.

“It’s very confusing to me that they are just discovering this a week later,” she told ABC 7. “How did we not know this before? It’s traumatic for the victims and their families not to be sure of what happened.”

vegas-shooter-paddock-ho-ps-171002_2_4x3_992

 

 

OFFICIALS: Las Vegas shooter sent 100k overseas just prior to attack

LAS VEGAS, NV — The suspect police claim responsible for the deadliest shooting in U.S. history sent tens of thousands of dollars overseas in the week leading up to the Las Vegas attack, say officials.

According to a report published by Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/03/las-vegas-shooter-sent-tens-thousands-dollars-overseas-officials-say.html), the suspect, Stephen Paddock, 64, wired $100,000 to an account in his live-in girlfriend’s home country of the Philippines just days prior to opening fire in Sunday’s deadly shooting rampage during which 59 victims were killed and over 500 more were injured.

Meanwhile, senior law enforcement officials told NBC News (https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/las-vegas-shooting/las-vegas-shooter-gambled-least-160k-recent-weeks-n807191) that Paddock gambled with at least $160,000 in the past several weeks at Las Vegas casinos. It is not yet known how Paddock obtained such a large sum of money, but the shooter’s brother, Eric Paddock said the wire transfer likely had little to do with the shooting itself.

“One hundred thousand dollars isn’t that huge amount of money,” he said. “Condemn Steve for gambling. Steve took care of the people he loved. He made me and my family wealthy.”

“It’s like a job for him,” Paddock continued. “It’s a job where you make money. He was at the hotel for four months one time. It was like a second home.”

Paddock’s girlfriend, Marilou Danley, 62, originally hails from the Philippines and was visiting the country when the shooting took place. She is scheduled to return to the U.S. on Wednesday and police say that although they do not believe she played a direct role in the shooting, they do want to question her as she remains a “person of interest” in the case. The couple reportedly lived together in Mesquite, Nev., a city located about 80 miles northeast of Las Vegas.

When asked about Danley’s potential involvement in the shooting, Eric Paddock said his brother may have “manipulated her so that she was far away from this and had money,” Eric Paddock added. “As he was descending into hell…he wanted to take care of her.”

ISIS, which holds a strong presence in the Philippines, claimed Monday that Paddock was “one of us” and that the shooter had converted to Islam months ago. The FBI on Tuesday discounted those claims, citing any proof of a connection between Paddock and the terror group.

Paddock was found dead from a self inflicted gunshot wound by armed police who blasted their way into his hotel room on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel in Las Vegas on Sunday night.

Next to his body, police found an arsenal of weapons including more than ten rifles but no information to help them determine what drove him to open fire from his window at attendees of a country music festival carrying on below.

“It’s one of those really sad, tragic things that a man that’s 64 years old that really had no other reason that we can find at least in his history here to go out and wound that many people,” said Las Vegas Undersheriff Kevin McMahill.

A search of the suspect’s home turned up at least 19 additional firearms, explosives and several thousand additional rounds of ammunition, Clark County Sheriff Joseph Lombardo said Monday night. Several pounds of ammonium nitrate, a material used to make explosives, were also found in Paddock’s car.

stephenp