WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump on Monday tore into the mainstream media over it’s coverage of a leaked New York Times report regarding his tax returns.
In a series of tweets the president blasted the media, referring to it’s coverage as “fake news” and defended the tax credits he’s shown to have taken, saying he, like everyone else, is entitled to do so.
“The Fake News Media, just like Election time 2016, is bringing up my Taxes & all sorts of other nonsense with illegally obtained information & only bad intent. I paid many millions of dollars in taxes but was entitled, like everyone else, to depreciation & tax credits,” the president wrote.
“Also, if you look at the extraordinary assets owned by me, which the Fake News hasn’t, I am extremely under leveraged – I have very little debt compared to the value of assets,” he continued.
“Much of this information is already on file, but I have long said that I may release financial Statements, from the time I announced I was going to run for President, showing all properties, assets and debts,” he added. “It is a very IMPRESSIVE Statement, and also shows that I am the only President on record to give up my yearly $400,000 plus Presidential Salary!”
The New York Times report contained information on the president’s tax returns that spanned more than two decades.
WASHINGTON — Attorneys for President Donald Trump on Wednesday told a federal judge that they intend to fight a subpoena ordering Trump turn over his private tax returns.
In a status report filed with a federal district court in New York, the president’s attorneys said they had multiple objections to the district attorney’s subpoena aside from the one struck down by the Supreme Court earlier this month and argued that District Attorney Cyrus Vance’s subpoenas are “overly broad.”
“In our judicial system, ‘the public has a right to every man’s evidence,’” Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in the 7-2 decision. “Since the earliest days of the Republic, ‘every man’ has included the President of the United States.”
Roberts also wrote that a “President may avail himself of the same protections available to every other citizen, including the right to challenge the subpoena on any grounds permitted by state law, which usually include bad faith and undue burden or breadth.”
“The President should not be required, for example, to litigate the subpoena’s breadth or whether it was issued in bad faith without understanding the nature and scope of the investigation and why the District Attorney needs all of the documents he has demanded,” Trump’s lawyers argued in their status report.
A status conference in the case is scheduled for Thursday.
WASHINGTON — Antifa’s plan to carry out an anti-government insurgency has been in the works since last November, intelligence reports have uncovered.
According to a report published by The Washington Times, the organization, which President Donald Trump recently declared a domestic terrorist group, has been planning race based riots since the kick off of the 2020 election campaign.
“Antifa’s actions represent a hard break with the long tradition of a peaceful political process in the United States,” former National Security Council staff member Rich Higgins told the Times. “Their Marxist ideology seeks not only to influence elections in the short term but to destroy the use of elections as the determining factor in political legitimacy.”
Joe Myers, a former Defense Intelligence Agency official and counterinsurgency expert, concurred with Higgins’ comments to the Times, adding, “President Trump’s election and revitalization of America are a threat to Antifa’s nihilist goals. They are fomenting this violence to create havoc, despair and to target the Trump campaign for defeat in 2020.”
According to the report, Antifa leaders used the death of George Floyd, a black man who died shortly after being taken into custody by Minneapolis police, as the call to launch riots in cities throughout the U.S..
“In recent days, our nation has been gripped by professional anarchists, violent mobs, arsonists, looters, criminals, rioters, antifa, and others,” Trump said Monday in response to the riots.
The White House National Security Council followed the president’s comments by announcing it is investigating the coordinated plots and gathering intelligence from cities affected by the riots throughout the past week.
“The president and the attorney general want to know from [FBI] Director [Christopher] Wray what the FBI has been doing to track and dismantle and surveil and prosecute antifa,” White House National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien told the Times. “And if that hasn’t been happening, we want to know what the plan is going forward.”
NEW YORK — A majority of voters in 6 key battleground states oppose impeaching President Donald Trump and removing him from office according to a recent New York Times report.
In a poll conducted by the publication, just forty-three percent of voters in the swing states of Arizona, Michigan, Florida, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, and Wisconsin support impeachment and removal of the president. Fifty-seven percent oppose.
According to the poll, those who oppose and support impeachment fall straight down party lines with 92% of Republicans opposing impeachment and removal and 84% of Democrats supporting it.
President Trump praised the poll Tuesday morning in a tweet in which he quoted Brian Kilmeade of “Fox & Friends” who had earlier discussed the survey’s findings on air.
“”I thought a very revealing poll was done by The New York Times. By about a 10 point margin, those in battleground states polled are against impeaching the President, and if Nancy Pelosi doesn’t take note of that, maybe she is a third rate politician.’ @kilmeade @foxandfriends” the president wrote.
The poll, conducted between Oct. 13-20 in the battleground states, surveyed 1,934 registered voters. The margin of error was stated as plus or minus 2.8%.
WASHINGTON– The Trump administration’s proposal to evict illegal immigrants from federally subsidized housing faced a wave of backlash Tuesday as local housing officials and landlords spoke out against the plan.
According to a report published by the New York Times, approximately 108,000 people would be subject to eviction.
“The housing authority would bear the brunt of the expense of having to completely evict and go through the court action of having to evict these families,” Sylvia Blanco, of the Housing Authority for Austin, Texas told the Times.
The Times cited a report which estimated that in cities like Los Angeles, where as many as 30% of people living in public housing are illegal immigrants, the cost to evict them could go as high as $10 million.
Undeterred, Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson said Tuesday that benefits such as public housing should be reserved only for American citizens.
“We need to make certain our scarce public resources help those who are legally entitled to it,” Carson told The Washington Post. “Given the overwhelming demand for our programs, fairness requires that we devote ourselves to legal residents who have been waiting, some for many years, for access to affordable housing.”
Under current federal guidelines, Illegal aliens are not eligible to receive subsidies for federal housing programs, but if someone with a legal status serves as the head of household, those restrictions are waived.
WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump on Tuesday swung back hard at The New York Times, which he referred to as “the enemy of the American people.”
“I wonder if the New York Times will apologize to me a second time, as they did after the 2016 Election. But this one will have to be a far bigger & better apology,” the president tweeted in regard to the Times’ allegations against him of Russian collusion. “On this one they will have to get down on their knees & beg for forgiveness-they are truly the Enemy of the People!”
The president’s latest attack upon the publication comes after a report released by Special Counsel Robert Mueller failed to find any evidence of collusion between Trump and Russia to influence the outcome of the 2016 presidential election.
Despite Mueller’s findings, in a column for the Times on Monday, New York Times columnist Paul Krugman wrote: “The fact is that the occupant of the White House betrayed his country. And the question everyone is asking is, what will Democrats do about it?”
“Paul Krugman, of the Fake News New York Times, has lost all credibility, as has the Times itself, with his false and highly inaccurate writings on me,” the president lashed out in a separate tweet. “He is obsessed with hatred, just as others are obsessed with how stupid he is. He said Market would crash, Only Record Highs!”
Calls for comment to Krugman and to a spokesperson to the New York Times were not immediately returned.
WASHINGTON — Last week’s resignation by Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen was prompted in large part by her refusal to enforce president Donald Trump’s policy of separating illegal immigrant families at the border, says an NBC report.
“I have determined that it is the right time for me to step aside,” Nielsen wrote in a resignation letter to Trump, according to a report published by The New York Times. “I hope that the next secretary will have the support of Congress and the courts in fixing the laws which have impeded our ability to fully secure America’s borders and which have contributed to discord in our nation’s discourse.”
White House insiders say the president’s no-nonsense approach to illegal immigration was just too tough for Nielsen to abide by. Her resignation comes just days after Trump rallied against the crisis at the border, demanding that Mexico “to their part” in curbing the influx of illegals crossing the southern U.S. border.
Undeterred, President Trump confirmed Nielsen’s resignation on Sunday, announcing that Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Kevin McAleenan will take over as Acting Secretary.
“Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen will be leaving her position, and I would like to thank her for her service,” Trump tweeted on Sunday. “I am pleased to announce that Kevin McAleenan, the current U.S. Customs and Border Protection Commissioner, will become Acting Secretary for @DHSgov. I have confidence that Kevin will do a great job!”
A senior administration official told NBC the president feels strongly that family separation has been the most effective policy at deterring illegal immigration.
Democrats have often called out this policy as “racist” and declared enforcement of such policy as “unconstitutional.”
“Hampered by misstep after misstep, Kirstjen Nielsen’s tenure at the Department of Homeland Security was a disaster from the start,” Rep. Bennie G. Thompson, D-Miss., chairman of the Homeland Security Committee, said in a statement.
“It is clearer now than ever that the Trump administration’s border security and immigration policies — that she enacted and helped craft — have been an abysmal failure and have helped create the humanitarian crisis at the border.”
President Trump campaigned heavily on promises of securing the nation’s borders during his 2016 presidential campaign. The issue will remain a large part of his efforts at re-election in 2020.
WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump’s former attorney Michael Cohen’s upcoming testimony before key House committees shouldn’t be believed unless he’s able to substantiate his claims, Judge Andrew Napolitano said Tuesday.
“This dynamite piece that The Wall Street Journal says he is going to testify that President Trump committed crimes while in office,” Fox News’ judicial analyst told “Fox and Friends” on Tuesday Morning. “The source wouldn’t say exactly what these alleged crimes are, but no prosecutor would put Michael Cohen on the stand and assert that he is credible without a mountain of corroborating evidence to support him.”
That evidence will likely not appear, said Napolitano, citing the fact that Cohen will not be under oath
This is not a legal hearing,” said Napolitano. “This is not a courtroom where you put a witness on the stand and corroborate them. This is a political gathering. They don’t care about corroboration.”
Cohen, who is expected to make some of Trump’s private financial statements public and worked for Trump for more than 10 years, is scheduled to appear before the Senate Intelligence Committee on Tuesday and on Wednesday before the House Oversight Committee.
Cohen’s planned testimony comes more than 13 months after The Wall Street Journal reported that he paid $130,000 in “hush money” to former adult-film star Stormy Daniels to buy her silence after an alleged sexual encounter with Donald Trump prior to his presidency.
Cohen claims he made the payment to Daniels under the direct orders of then-presidential candidate Trump.