MUELLER: Reports of draft indictment of Trump ‘false’

WASHINGTON — Robert Mueller’s office on Tuesday denied claims made by author Michael Wolff that Special Counsel had drafted an indictment for obstruction of justice against President Donald Trump.

The response comes in the wake of comments made in Wolf’s new book, “Siege: Trump Under Fire,” that Mueller had been prepared to charge the president with three counts of obstruction of justice.

Claiming to be in possession of “internal documents” to back his claims, Wolf said Trump went to “extraordinary lengths… to protect himself from legal scrutiny and accountability, and to undermine the official panels investigating his actions.”

The problem, says Mueller’s office? That never happened.

The documents that you’ve described do not exist,” Mueller spokesperson Peter Carr told The Guardian.

This isn’t the first time that Wolf has come under fire for inaccuracies in his writing.

“I investigate nothing. All I do is look and write what I see and what I hear, and my job — which has nothing to do with truth — is to take what I see and what I hear and write that in a way that readers can come [as close] as possible — as close as I came — to the experience of doing this,” Wolf told a publication for Vassar College after his last book, “Fire and Fury,” was attacked as being full of fraudulent claims. “I want to be able to turn what I see into something that a reader says ‘oh, I see that too.’”

Calls for comment to the White House were not immediately returned.

muellertrump

BANNON BOWS: President’s embattled former top advisor apologizes for anti-Trump comments

WASHINGTON, D.C. — As the battle between Donald Trump and former advisor Steve Bannon rages on, the Breitbart chair seems to be having second thoughts on firing the next shot.

In a statement issued to Axios on Sunday (https://www.axios.com/scoop-bannon-sends-regret-to-trump-1515329924-dbfe9439-59e0-4773-8d3d-079e5ee2b493.html), Bannon issued a sweeping apology for negative comments he made about his former boss, Donald Trump, and Trump’s son, Donald Trump, Jr., regarding Trump Jr’s meeting with Russian officials during the 2016 presidential campaign. A new book, “Fire and Fury,” quoted Bannon as calling Trump Jr “unpatriotic” for agreeing to the meeting.

“Donald Trump, Jr. is both a patriot and a good man. He has been relentless in his advocacy for his father and the agenda that has helped turn our country around,” said Bannon. “My support is also unwavering for the president and his agenda — as I have shown daily in my national radio broadcasts, on the pages of Breitbart News and in speeches and appearances from Tokyo and Hong Kong to Arizona and Alabama.”

“President Trump was the only candidate that could have taken on and defeated the Clinton apparatus. I am the only person to date to conduct a global effort to preach the message of Trump and Trumpism; and remain ready to stand in the breach for this president’s efforts to make America great again,” Bannon’s statement continued.

“My comments about the meeting with Russian nationals came from my life experiences as a Naval officer stationed aboard a destroyer whose main mission was to hunt Soviet submarines to my time at the Pentagon during the Reagan years when our focus was the defeat of ‘the evil empire’ and to making films about Reagan’s war against the Soviets and Hillary Clinton’s involvement in selling uranium to them,” the apology went on. My comments were aimed at Paul Manafort, a seasoned campaign professional with experience and knowledge of how the Russians operate. He should have known they are duplicitous, cunning and not our friends. To reiterate, those comments were not aimed at Don Jr.”

“Everything I have to say about the ridiculous nature of the Russian ‘collusion’ investigation I said on my 60 Minutes interview. There was no collusion and the investigation is a witch hunt,” Bannon concluded. “I regret that my delay in responding to the inaccurate reporting regarding Don Jr has diverted attention from the president’s historical accomplishments in the first year of his presidency.”

Bannon’s apology comes after days of backlash from Trump supporters, and the president himself, who called his former right-hand man “inconsequential” to his winning campaign and eventual administration.

The book, which also quoted Bannon as saying that many people surrounding the president questioned his mental health and suitability for office, caused a stir last week when snippets of Bannon’s alleged comments were previewed to the media.

During a White House press briefing last week, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee-Sanders addressed the allegations, calling them “laughable”.

White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders this past week called such suggestions “disgraceful and laughable.”

“If he was unfit, he probably wouldn’t be sitting there and wouldn’t have defeated the most qualified group of candidates the Republican Party has ever seen,” she said The president, said Sanders is “an incredibly strong and good leader.”

bannonapologizes

 

Fire and Fury: White House tell-all rushes to hit bookshelves as Trump fights to prevent release

WASHINGTON, D.C.– A tell-all book which promises to blow the lid off of Trump’s White House secrets is battling to make it to the bookshelves before being stopped by the Commander-in-Chief.

The forthcoming book, ‘Fire and Fury,’ by Michael Wolff, which has caused a sensation since snippets from the tattler was released on Wednesday, is now scheduled to hit bookstores on Friday.

“Due to unprecedented demand, we are moving the on-sale date for all formats of ‘Fire and Fury,’ by Michael Wolff, to Friday, January 5, at 9 a.m. ET, from the current on-sale date of Tuesday, January 9,” a spokesman for publisher Henry Holt and Company announced on Thursday.

Contained in the tell-all are alleged comments by one of the president’s former key advisors, Steve Bannon, who criticised the president and his son, Donald Trump, Jr., as being “treasonous” and “unpatriotic ” over their communications with Russian officials during the 2016 presidential campaign.

The snippets caused an explosion of interest in the book on social media Wednesday, causing the president to respond to the book’s claims.

“Steve Bannon has nothing to do with me or my Presidency. When he was fired, he not only lost his job, he lost his mind. Steve was a staffer who worked for me after I had already won the nomination by defeating seventeen candidates, often described as the most talented field ever assembled in the Republican party,” Trump said in a written statement following the book preview’s release.

“Now that he is on his own, Steve is learning that winning isn’t as easy as I make it look. Steve had very little to do with our historic victory, which was delivered by the forgotten men and women of this country. Yet Steve had everything to do with the loss of a Senate seat in Alabama held for more than thirty years by Republicans. Steve doesn’t represent my base—he’s only in it for himself,” the president continued.

“Steve pretends to be at war with the media, which he calls the opposition party, yet he spent his time at the White House leaking false information to the media to make himself seem far more important than he was. It is the only thing he does well. Steve was rarely in a one-on-one meeting with me and only pretends to have had influence to fool a few people with no access and no clue, whom he helped write phony books,” Trump claimed.

“We have many great Republican members of Congress and candidates who are very supportive of the Make America Great Again agenda. Like me, they love the United States of America and are helping to finally take our country back and build it up, rather than simply seeking to burn it all down,” the statement concluded.

Seemingly taking a swipe at the president by flaunting the interest in the, Wolff tweeted: “Here we go. You can buy it (and read it) tomorrow. Thank you, Mr. President.”

During a White House press briefing on Thursday, Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee-Sanders slammed the book, calling it a “fantasy”.

The book is mistake after mistake after mistake,” Sanders said, calling it tabloid gossip” laced with “false and fraudulent claims.”

“I’m not going to waste my time or the country’s time going page by page correcting [the book],” Sanders added.

Meanwhile, a lawyer for the president sent a letter to Wolff and the book’s publisher on Thursday demanding the book’s publication be halted and that Wolff issue “a full and complete retraction and apology.”

“Mr. Trump hereby demands that you immediately cease and desist from any further publication, release or dissemination of the book,” the demand reads.

A spokesperson for Henry Holt and Company said that, despite the president’s threats, their company has no plans to hold back the book’s publication.

fire-fury