WASHINGTON (National Review) — Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe on Monday said Hunter Biden’s recovered laptop and emails, which purportedly show Joe Biden had involvement in his son’s foreign business dealings, are “not part of some Russian disinformation campaign.”
Ratcliffe’s comments, which refute claims made by House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff that the emails are a smear attempt coming “from the Kremlin,” came during an appearance on FOX Business.
“It’s funny that some of the people who complain the most about intelligence being politicized are the ones politicizing the intelligence,” Ratcliffe said. “Unfortunately, it is Adam Schiff who said the intelligence community believes the Hunter Biden laptop and emails on it are part of a Russian disinformation campaign.”
He continued: “Let me be clear: the intelligence community doesn’t believe that because there is no intelligence that supports that. And we have shared no intelligence with Adam Schiff, or any member of Congress.”
A New York Post report last week details emails which suggest Hunter Biden may have made an introduction between his father, then- Vice President Joe Biden, and a Ukrainian adviser to Burisma Holdings in 2015.
The documents were reportedly recovered from a laptop computer that was dropped off at a repair shop in Delaware in April 2019 but never retrieved. The authenticity of the emails has not been confirmed.
“We know that this whole smear on Joe Biden comes from the Kremlin,” Schiff said of the emails on CNN. “That’s been clear for well over a year now that they’ve been pushing this false narrative about this vice president and his son.”
Ratcliffe said the claims of Russian disinformation are “simply not true.”
“Hunter Biden’s laptop is not part of some Russian disinformation campaign,” Ratcliffe said. “This is not part of some Russian disinformation campaign.”
He said the laptop is “in the jurisdiction of the FBI” and the Bureau’s investigation “is not centered around Russian disinformation and the intelligence community is not playing any role with respect to that.”
Brittany Bernstein of the National Review contributed to the contents of this report.
WASHINGTON– Attorney General William Barr came out swinging against the FBI Tuesday, claiming the agency ignored exculpatory evidence which would have cleared President Donald Trump of any wrong doing in order to proceed with it’s investigation against him.
In an interview with Fox News, Barr said the FBI launched a “very aggressive investigation” into the Trump campaign which led the way to the Russia probe.
“I think before the election, I think we were concerned about the motive force behind the very aggressive investigation that was launched into the Trump campaign without — you know, with a very thin, slender reed as a basis for it,” Barr said. “It seemed that the bureau was sort of spring-loaded at the end of July to drive in there and investigate a campaign.”
“There really wasn’t much there to do that on, and that became more and more evident as they went by,” Barr added, “but they seemed to have ignored all the exculpatory evidence that was building up and continued pell-mell to push it forward.”
The attorney general said effort to investigate Trump following the election remained “intense” even after it became “painfully obvious” there was little basis to do so.
“The other area of concern is that after the election, even though they were closing down, some of it as we’ve seen in the [Michael] Flynn case and say there’s nothing here, for some reason they went right back at it, even at a time where the evidentiary support or claimed support, like the dossier, was falling apart,” Barr said. “And it’s — it’s very hard to understand why they continued to push and even make public in testimony that they had an investigation going, when it was becoming painfully obvious, or should have been obvious to anyone, that there was nothing there.”
Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham, who has been investigating the Russia probe’s origins, says he intends to find out what FBI officials knew in regard to information that may have excluded Trump, who knew it and when.
“I believe it goes to the very top, and I’m going to get to the bottom of it,” Graham said Sunday during an appearance on Fox News’ “Sunday Morning Futures,” “and that means Sally Yates and Rosenstein, and McCabe and Comey are all going to come before the committee and they’re going to be asked, ‘What did you know and when did you know it?’”
PORTLAND — Ten years after a Portland, Oregon boy disappeared from his elementary school, police officials say they are no closer to determining what happened to 7-year-old Kyron Horman.
The boy’s step-mother, Terri Horman- Vazquez, claims she last saw the boy at Skyline Elementary School after helping him set up a science fair exhibit before school. She has since remained a central focus in the missing boy’s disappearance.
Horman-Vasquez told police she left Kyron at the school after watching him walk toward his classroom, assuming she would pick him up at the bus stop later that day. However, when she and the boy’s father Kaine Horman went to the bus stop to pick Kyron up, Horman-Vasquez said they were told that Kyron never got on the bus. When the pair went to the school to retrieve the boy, it was revealed that Kyron had been marked absent that day. However, according to the boy’s teacher, Horman Vasquez had told her a few days prior to the boy’s disappearance that Kyron had a doctor’s appointment that day and would not be attending.
After denying anything to do with the boy’s disappearance, police officials were informed that Horman-Vazquez had attempted to hire a hit man to kill the boy’s father in the weeks leading up to the child going missing. Although no charges were filed in that matter, upon being notified of the attempt by police Kaine Horman moved out of the home he shared with his wife and successfully won custody of the pair’s young daughter.
Horman-Vasquez later took and reportedly failed two lie detector tests arranged by police relating to the boy’s disappearance and allegedly walked out of a third, claiming the failed tests were the result of a “hearing problem.”
“I went through the polygraph. They ask you if you can hear them; they do everything but roll out a red carpet so that you’re comfortable,” the boy’s biological mother, Desiree Young said of Terri’s claims. “She heard just fine. So I don’t believe it at all.”
The Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office and Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office released a video Thursday discussing the ongoing search for Kyron.
“As parents, we can’t imagine the pain and struggle Kyron’s family has experienced and continues to experience without him,” District Attorney Rod Underhill said.
Terri Horman-Vasquez has since left Oregon to start a “new life” in California and has recently remarried. She has yet to be charged in the boy’s disappearance, but police say the investigation into Kyron’s case is still active.
Anyone who knows of Kyron Horman’s whereabouts is asked to contact the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office tip line at (503) 988-0560 or the FBI at (503) 224-4181.
WASHINGTON — Antifa’s plan to carry out an anti-government insurgency has been in the works since last November, intelligence reports have uncovered.
According to a report published by The Washington Times, the organization, which President Donald Trump recently declared a domestic terrorist group, has been planning race based riots since the kick off of the 2020 election campaign.
“Antifa’s actions represent a hard break with the long tradition of a peaceful political process in the United States,” former National Security Council staff member Rich Higgins told the Times. “Their Marxist ideology seeks not only to influence elections in the short term but to destroy the use of elections as the determining factor in political legitimacy.”
Joe Myers, a former Defense Intelligence Agency official and counterinsurgency expert, concurred with Higgins’ comments to the Times, adding, “President Trump’s election and revitalization of America are a threat to Antifa’s nihilist goals. They are fomenting this violence to create havoc, despair and to target the Trump campaign for defeat in 2020.”
According to the report, Antifa leaders used the death of George Floyd, a black man who died shortly after being taken into custody by Minneapolis police, as the call to launch riots in cities throughout the U.S..
“In recent days, our nation has been gripped by professional anarchists, violent mobs, arsonists, looters, criminals, rioters, antifa, and others,” Trump said Monday in response to the riots.
The White House National Security Council followed the president’s comments by announcing it is investigating the coordinated plots and gathering intelligence from cities affected by the riots throughout the past week.
“The president and the attorney general want to know from [FBI] Director [Christopher] Wray what the FBI has been doing to track and dismantle and surveil and prosecute antifa,” White House National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien told the Times. “And if that hasn’t been happening, we want to know what the plan is going forward.”
WASHINGTON– Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe was notified by Justice Department officials Thursday that they have rejected his appeal to avoid being criminally charged for lying to federal agents.
The Justice Department’s decision clears the way for McCabe to be indicted, say legal experts.
The news comes just one month after McCabe sued the Justice Department and U.S. Attorney General William Barr, claiming his firing in March 2018 was unlawful. McCabe was terminated by then-Attorney General Jeff Sessions after an internal investigation revealed he had disclosed the agency’s probe into the Clinton Foundation.
According to sources, the U.S. attorney’s office for the District of Columbia informed McCabe’s attorneys last month that charges against their client were being recommended.
McCabe and his legal team formally appealed the recommendation through Deputy Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen and the U.S. attorney, Jessie Liu, on Aug. 21.
The recommendation of McCabe’s indictment is the latest development in the FBI’s investigations around the 2016 presidential election, when the agency was charged with investigating both Republican candidate Donald Trump and Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton.
McCabe, 51, has often been the subject of President Donald Trump’s rage. The president frequently called for McCabe’s termination on the grounds that he was biased against him and that he had tipped the scales in the FBI Russia probe to favor Clinton. McCabe denied the president’s allegations.
WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump and his conservative base on Thursday celebrated a Justice Department Inspector General’s report which found former FBI director James Comey violated FBI policies over memos of private conversations with President Donald Trump prior to his being terminated.
The report, released Thursday morning, documented a myriad of violations by the former FBI director, including one in which he gave a memo containing unclassified information to a friend with instructions to share the contents with a journalist and that Comey failed to notify the FBI after he was dismissed in May 2017 that he had retained some of the memos in a safe located inside his residence.
Shortly after the Inspector General’s report was released, White House Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham called Comey a “proven liar and leaker” and said he “disgraced himself and his office to further a personal political agenda.”
“Perhaps never in the history of our Country has someone been more thoroughly disgraced and excoriated than James Comey in the just-released inspector general’s Report. He should be ashamed of himself!” President Trump tweeted.
Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., referred to inspector general Michael Horowitz findings as “a stunning and unprecedented rebuke of a former director of the FBI.”
“This is the first of what I expect will be several more ugly and damning rebukes of senior DOJ and FBI officials regarding their actions and biases toward the Trump campaign of 2016,” said Graham, who cited Comey’s “off-the-rails behavior.”
Rep. Jim Jordan, (R)-Ohio, also bashed Comey as a result of the report’s findings.
“By leaking his confidential communications with the President in an attempt to save face in the wake of his firing, Mr. Comey believed he was above the rules of the DOJ,” said Jordan, the ranking member of the House Committee on Oversight and Reform, in a statement. “His actions were disgraceful and part of a wider effort within the Obama Justice Department to undermine President Trump.”
For his part, Comey defended his actions and demanded an apology from his critics.
“DOJ IG “found no evidence that Comey or his attorneys released any of the classified information contained in any of the memos to members of the media,” Comey tweeted, citing a portion of the report. “I don’t need a public apology from those who defamed me, but a quick message with a “sorry we lied about you” would be nice.”
“And to all those who’ve spent two years talking about me “going to jail” or being a “liar and a leaker,” Comey wrote in a separate tweet, “ask yourselves why you still trust people who gave you bad info for so long, including the president.”
Andy McCarthy, a former U.S. Attorney, who said he has known Comey for “many years,” told Fox News he was “very disappointed” the former FBI director “managed to avoid indictment.”
“If somebody in Comey’s agency had done what he did, he would have terminated them in nothing flat,” said McCarthy.
WASHINGTON — Attorney General William Barr on Monday removed Bureau of Prison’s acting director Hugh Hurwitz from his duties in the wake of billionaire financier Jeffrey Epstein’s death while in federal custody
Epstein, 66, who was charged with multiple counts of child sex abuse, was found dead in his cell earlier this month, the victim of an alleged suicide.
Barr, who named Kathleen Hawk Sawyer, the prison agency’s director from 1992 until 2003, to replace Hurwitz, made the decision amid mounting claims that prison officials did not do enough to protect Epstein, who had been placed at one time under suicide watch. Barr also named Dr. Thomas R. Kane as the agency’s new deputy director.
Last week Barr ordered the bureau to temporarily reassign the prison’s warden, Lamine N’Diaye, to a regional office and to place the two guards who were assigned to watch Epstein on administrative leave.
Allegations have surfaced since Epstein’s August 10 death that the two guards, who were assigned to check on him every 30 minutes, falsified documents to state that they had.
“I am confident Dr. Hawk Sawyer and Dr. Kane will lead BOP with the competence, skill and resourcefulness they have embodied throughout their government careers,” Barr said in a statement.
Lawmakers from both political parties have called for a formal investigation into the circumstances surrounding Epstein’s death.
Epstein was arrested July 6 at an airport in Teterboro, New Jersey, as he returned from Paris on his private jet. He was charged with one count of sex trafficking conspiracy and one count of sex trafficking. He faced up to 45 years in prison if found guilty. He pleaded not guilty and was denied bail.