GINGRICH: Buzzfeed report alleging Trump ordered Cohen to lie an ‘absurdity’

WASHINGTON — Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich came out swinging in defense of President Donald Trump on Friday against allegations by Buzzfeed that Trump ordered one-time personal attorney Michael Cohen to lie to Congress on his behalf.

“This is an absurdity,” Gingrich said during an appearance on Fox News’ “Fox and Friends.” “The news media will take any possible negative about Trump and maximize it whether it’s true or not, because it fits their bias and the degree to which they dislike.”

Gingrich also said that only the “modern liberal” would be gullible enough to believe that a sitting president would instruct someone to lie during congressional testimony.

Gingrich, a fellow Republican, has been one of the president’s most staunch defenders in the ongoing investigation by Special Counsel Robert Mueller to determine whether or not Trump colluded with Russia to influence the outcome of the 2016 presidential election.

Gingrich also took the opportunity during this Fox appearance to bash a New York Times report which suggested that Trump was secretly a “Russian agent”.

“The New York Times had a story last week about Trump was a Russian agent as the huge headline,” said Gingrich. “You get to paragraph nine they say you know there’s actually no factual evidence of any kind…if The New York Times can take trivia and trash and turn it into a page one story why can’t BuzzFeed?”

During a federal court hearing in New York last August, Cohen testified that Trump had ordered him to arrange “hush money” payments during his 2016 election campaign to two women with whom he is alleged to have had extra-marital affairs, a violation of federal campaign laws. Cohen also pled guilty to lying to Congress about a proposed Trump project in Russia.

As part of a plea agreement with prosecutors, Cohen agreed to testify before Congress. He is scheduled to appear before a congressional panel sometime next month.

newtandtrump

‘I’M GOING TO BE A PROFESSIONAL SCHOOL SHOOTER’: FBI warned of Florida school shooting in advance; Knew suspect’s identity

PARKLAND, FL — FBI officials were warned in advance of a deadly school shooting that took place on Thursday and were made aware of the shooter’s identity according to a witness who says he spoke with the FBI prior to the event.

According to 36-year-old YouTuber Ben Bennight, 19-year-old suspect Nikolas Cruz left a comment on one of his videos stating “I’m going to be a professional school shooter.”

“I am going to what he did,” Cruz allegedly promised in a September 24 comment on a video about the 1966 Texas University massacre.

Alarmed by the statement, Bennight took a screenshot of Cruz’s comment and notified both YouTube and the FBI.

“This comment said ‘I’m going to be a professional school shooter” and I knew that I couldn’t just ignore that,” he said.

Bennight says the FBI took the threat seriously enough to meet with him the following day.

“They came to my office the next morning and asked me if I knew anything about the person,” Bennight told BuzzFeed (https://tinyurl.com/yc59zkmy). “I didn’t. They took a copy of the screenshot and that was the last I heard from them.”

Bennight says he was contacted again by agents from both the Missisippi and Miami FBI field offices after Cruz allegedly opened fire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, killing at least 17.

“I would like to think that they were already investigating this guy and they had him on the top of their radar and that’s how they ended up contacting me so quickly,” Bennight said.

Cruz, who had a history of discipline problems which resulted in his being expelled from the school, was taken into custody shortly after the deadly rampage.

In a statement, a lawyer for the family Cruz had been staying with since the death of his mother said he had purchased his gun legally.

Cruz’s social media posts just prior to the killings seem to indicate an obsession with weapons and the killing of animals.

Despite the alert to the FBI, local police officials say they received no notice about Cruz’s threats.

Superintendent Robert Runcie told reporters: “We received no warnings.”

cruz