WASHINGTON (Newsmax)– Dr Anthony Fauci, the infectious disease expert who is the chief medical adviser to U.S. President Joe Biden, will retire by the end of Biden’s term, he told Politico in an interview published Monday.
Fauci, 81, has been the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) since 1984 and became the face of the U.S. government’s efforts to contain the COVID-19 pandemic.
Fauci served on the White House coronavirus task force under former President Donald Trump.
NIAID did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment.
Republicans in Congress are threatening to investigate Fauci and 10 other virologists on their stance on the origins of COVID-19 if the GOP regains control in the upcoming midterm elections.
UKHSA Vaccine Surveillance Report as of 2022 Week 12 (21 Mar – 27 Mar) Age 18+
78.6% of population fully vaccinated
91.3% of cases fully vaccinated
85.2% of hospitalizations fully vaccinated
90.0% of deaths fully vaccinated
REJECTION OF DEFUSE PROJECT PROPOSAL
Proposal Title: DEFUSE – Defusing the Threat of Bat-borne Coronaviruses (2018)
Proposal Identifier: HR001118S0017-PREEMPT-FP-019
Amounts Requested by EcoHealth Alliance:
Phase I $8,411,546
Phase II $5,797,699
The DEFUSE proposed project by EHA was rejected by DARPA, although “if funding became available”, certain components of particular interest could have gone ahead, subject to a clear contractual Dual Use Research of Concern (DURC) risk mitigation plan that ‘includes a responsible communications plan’.
REASONS FOR REJECTION
The Biological Technologies Office of DARPA reviewed the EcoHealth Alliance DEFUSE proposal and the Evaluation Reports and decided it was “selectable”. In doing so, two out of three reviewers considered the aim of preempting “zoonotic spillover through reduction of viral shedding in the bat caves” as of interest to DARPA. These reviewers assessed the EHA and Collaborators team and concluded that:
-They have plenty of prior experience.
-They have access to Yunnan caves where bats are infected with SARSr viruses.
-They have carried out past surveillance work
-They have developed geo-based risk maps of zoonotic hotspots
-Their proposed experimental work is logical and can validate molecular and evolutionary
-Their proposed preemption approaches can rapidly be validated using bat and “batenized” mouse models. However, the Biological Technologies Office did not recommend it be funded at that time because significant weaknesses were identified.
Rejection Letter – Findings p. 2/2
- The proposal is considered to potentially involve GoF/DURC research because they propose to synthesize spike glycoproteins which bind to human cell receptors and insert them into SARSr-CoV backbones to assess whether they can cause SARS-like disease.
- However the proposal does not mention or assess potential risks of Gain of Function (GoF) research.
- Nor does the proposal mention or assess Dual Use Research of Concern (DURC) issues, and thus fails to present a DURC risk mitigation plan.
- The proposal hardly addresses or discusses ethical, legal, and social issues (ELSI).
- The proposal fails to discuss problems with the proposed vaccine delivery systems caused by the known issues of variability in vaccine dosage.
- The proposal did not provide sufficient information about how EHA would use any data obtained and how they would model development or perform any necessary statistical analysis.
- The proposal did not explain clearly how EHA will take advantage of their previous work, nor how that previous work could be extended.
- The proposal failed to clearly assess how it would deploy and validate the “TA2 preemption methods” in the wild. This refers to carrying out experiments with effective immune boosting molecules and delivery techniques via FEA aerosolization mechanism at one test and. two control bat cave sites in Yunnan, China (PARC, EHA, WIV).
- The proposal does not address concerns about these vaccines not being able to protect against the wide variety of coronaviruses in bat caves which are constantly evolving due to insufficient epitope coverage.
- DRASTIC independently assesses that the tone of the proposal (see for instance the ‘our cave complex’) and the deep suggested involvement of some of the WIV parties (Shi Zheng Li employed half-time for 3 years – paid via the grant – and invited to DARPA headquarters at Arlington), may not have helped either – especially in the absence of any DURC risk mitigation program.
It is clear that the proposed DEFUSE project led by Peter Daszak could have put local communities at risk by failing to consider the following issues:
- Gain of Function
- Dual Use Research of Concern
- Vaccine epitope coverage
- Regulatory requirements
- ELSI (ethical, legal, and social issues)
- Data Usage
WASHINGTON — Allowing the Coronavirus run its course and body’s natural immune system to do its job would lead to a “major death toll,” White House Coronavirus task force head Anthony Fauci said Friday.
“If everyone contracted it, even with the relatively high percentage of people without symptoms, a lot of people are going to die,” Fauci said during a live Instagram interview with actor Matthew McConaughey.
“If everyone contracted it, even with the relatively high percentage of people without symptoms, a lot of people are going to die,” Fauci said.
“You look at the United States of America with our epidemic of obesity as it were. With the number of people with hypertension. With the number of people with diabetes. If everyone got infected, the death toll would be enormous and totally unacceptable. And that’s the reason why we are against saying: ‘Let it fly. Let everyone get infected and we’ll be fine.’ That’s a bad idea.
Meanwhile, during an interview for the National Geographic program “Stopping Pandemics,” Fauci balked at Russia’s claims to have developed a vaccine to combat the virus.
“I hope that the Russians have actually definitively proven that the vaccine is safe and effective,” Fauci said. “I seriously doubt that they’ve done that.
According to a U.S. Government Accountability Office report, “herd immunity” can happen once a large part of a population—say 70-90%—develops immunity to a disease. This generally happens by infection (conferring natural immunity) or vaccination.”
WASHINGTON– The United States is heading in the wrong direction when it comes to combating the Coronavirus pandemic, says National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases director Anthony Fauci.
In an interview with Howard Bauchner, editor-in-chief of the Journal of the American Medical Association, Fauci said he is becoming “increasingly alarmed” with the number of Covid cases in the U.S..
“I think it’s pretty obvious, Howard, that we are not going in the right direction,” Fauci said. “We need to realize that if we do not adhere to the guidelines as we’re trying to open, and I don’t mean officially, I mean the citizenry, the people that are out there, we’re going to be in some serious difficulty.”
Noting the recent surge in cases in states such as Arizona, California, Florida and Texas, four states that have accounted for about half the new cases in the country this year, Fauci warned: “The whole enterprise could be at risk.”
As school districts nation wide make plans to reopen their doors this fall, Fauci said education officials must be optimistic, but cautious.
“When you look at schools, there really is a delicate balance there, because obviously if you have massive, massive outbreaks where you have an exponential elevation of a curve of new infections in a particular area, you really don’t want to have the kids go to school there. But we really need to be much more flexible in what we can do to get the children back to school,” he said. “A fundamental principle is, within the realm of some prudent evaluation of the safety to the children and the impact on the community, we should try as best as possible to get the kids back to school.”
“In certain circumstances where you get them back but there are still viral dynamics in the community, there are a lot of creative ways that superintendents of schools are thinking seriously about how you can mitigate the possibility of there being children being the vehicles of spread: Alternating days of classes, morning versus afternoon, the wearing of masks for children who are old enough to understand what it means to wear a mask, having capabilities of online for children who have underlying conditions that might put them at risk, protecting the teachers,” he said. “The principle should be, how can we prudently, with sensitivity to the safety of the kids, get the children back to school?”
Fauci’s comments come just one day after health officials confirmed more than 50,000 new cases of coronavirus in a single 24-hour period.