Washington, D.C. (The Hill) — The White House offered new details Thursday on President Trump’s decision to cancel a planned June 12 summit with North Korea, saying he did so after a U.S. team was stood up by the Koreans, and that the letter announcing the decision to Kim Jong Un was 100 percent Trump.
“The president dictated every word of the letter himself,” a senior White House official said.
The letter cited Kim’s “tremendous anger and open hostility” toward the United States in explaining why the meeting was being scrapped.
“I feel it is inappropriate, at this time, to have this long-planned meeting,” Trump wrote in the letter released by the White House.
The U.S. and North Korea had agreed to hold the summit in Singapore last week, the White House official said.
But when the U.S. sent a deputy chief of staff and other advance team personnel to Singapore to set the meeting up, the North Koreas never showed up.
“They simply stood us up,” the official said.
The senior White House official also cast doubt on whether North Korea truly destroyed its nuclear test site, saying international inspectors were not allowed to attend
“We certainly hope that’s the case, but we really don’t know.”
“Secretary Pompeo and the South Korean government were promised by the North Koreans that international experts and officials would be invited to witness and verify today’s demolition,” the official said, but that promise was “broken.”
One thought on “‘IT’S OFF!’ Trump cancels highly anticipated meeting with Kim Jong-un citing rogue state’s ‘tremendous anger’ toward US”